Buddy is one of those babies (actually I suppose he’s a toddler now… Sob!) that will attempt to scale the curtains/bookcase/baby gate the moment my back is turned. If my attention is diverted for a moment when he is awake I have to begin a search and rescue mission. Although I love his energy, it is exhausting and it makes it difficult to get anything else done! So I thought I would share some of my favourite parenting hacks that we use to distract him, and some nifty ideas I found online too!
Please read the disclaimer before taking part in any activity.
I am comfortable to enjoy these activities with my (almost) 1 year old. Please consider your own child’s ability and never engage in any activity you feel will be unsafe for your child.
1. Make a Cardboard Box Post Box
2. Have fun with No Mess Painting
3. Practice Fine motor skills with a quick and simple Peek-A-Boo Door
4. Go on a rescue mission with your very own Spider’s Web Discovery Basket
5. Make a Discovery Basket for your little one to explore. Here is a list of 150 Items to Include in your Discovery Basket
6. Push objects through a paper towel tube. Anna at the Measured Mom used Pom-Poms in her paper towel play. I prefer to use wooden blocks at the moment, as Buddy is still very taste happy.
8. Set up a simple play with Clothes Pegs and Bowl Play, this play was thought up by Ewa at Blueberry Craft and Hobbytime.
9. Set up a Muffin Tray Sorting Activity as Anna at The Imagination Tree did. I’m trying this one tomorrow!
10. Make some DIY Sensory Boards as Asia at Fun at Home with Kids did. These are fantastic and we are already planning to make one of these for Buddy’s Christmas Present!
I hope these ideas provide you with a few (much needed) moments of sanity! Of course any other ideas are always welcome!
This post has been shared on the Mad Mid Week Blog Hop #mmwbh